Friday, July 11, 2008

Back to Blogging


The tough thing about writing a blog is keeping it updated. Just when I got on a bit of a roll, I took a little vacation last week, and it’s been hard to get back into the swing of things. But I’m back at the keyboard in an attempt to get this going again and keep you coming back.

It’s not easy coming up with topics every day, when everyday responsibilities and activities take priority. No wonder newspaper columnists (as they were known before they became bloggers) usually write just one or two columns a week. I had planned to write a piece about the Fourth of July, and our great float entry in the 1980 Claremont parade (but I'm still looking for photos).

The other thing is the realization that not everybody likes what you have to say. Of course, every columnist who has an opinion is likely to offend people. For the most part, this is where I try to spread good news, or share my views about other local “topics of the day.” I simply try to present an honest and balanced observation. Sometimes that means taking a look at the other side of an issue, too. It’s just my opinion.

One such instance happened recently on a blog in which I referenced the prospects of a local high school quarterback who has given a verbal commitment to an out-of-state university. While I praised the player and his abilities, I questioned whether he’d ever actually go to that school. I stand by my opinion, but I pulled the blog item, because it won't be worth dealing with a particularly oversensitive parent. But rest assured, I question if I should have pulled the item, and I won’t grant that courtesy in the future.

For now, it’s back to the blog. Thanks for reading, and your comments and contributions are welcome.

No comments: